President Trump may not care about the impact of global warming, but we at MarchOn! Texas sure do! Like many other mayor, governors and business leaders, we’ve got to take matters into our own hands.
You may be wondering, “I’m just one person. Can anything I do really make an impact?” The answer is a resounding yes. Here are five things you can do in fact.
5 Ways You Can Save Planet Earth
- Watch your water usage. Water is our most precious resource and we tend to waste it. Turn off your faucet when you’re brushing your teeth. Use cold water to wash your laundry when possible, and wait until you have a full load. Switch your yard to a Xeriscape (pronounced zeer-escape), which is fancy for low-water/low-maintenance plants. It will save water, maintenance and money.
- Eat less red meat. According to a Guardian article, giving up beef could reduce your carbon footprint more than giving up your car! Why? Because it takes 11 times more water and 28 times more land to raise cattle than chickens or pigs.
As a nice side bonus, you will get healthier in the process. Chicken and port are leaner meats than beef. Not ready to give it up entirely? Cut it down to just twice a month.
- Drive smarter. Whenever possible, take public transit or ride your bike instead of your car. Buy the most fuel efficient model available; consider a hybrid for your next purchase. When you have errands, group them together so you are doing all of them in one trip instead of multiple ones. Slowing down when you drive helps your fuel economy and checking your tires for proper air levels will reduce pollution and greenhouse emissions.
- Make your house more energy efficient. Turn off the lights when you leave the room. Raise the A/C temperature when you leave the house. Close the window blinds to prevent your house from heating up in the summer. Make sure your doors and windows have proper seals so they aren’t leaking out air conditioning or heat during the winter.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. We Americans generate a lot of trash every year. The average person generates 4.6 pounds of trash per day! Recycling reduces greenhouse emissions by using up less landfill space. Take the extra time and sort your trash. If you have a water bottle, refill it with tap water instead of buying new plastic ones. Compost if you are able. Go to the park or beach this weekend and pick up some trash.
We have one planet and it’s everyone’s responsibility to care for it. Just being more mindful and making some of the small changes helps. It’s up to us now!